If you are keen on taking the IELTS speaking test, then it is imperative to know the main part of the exam.
In part 1 of the Speaking Test, you will be asked to speak for 60 seconds about a topic. The first part of the exam consists of a short introduction and the examiner will ask very general questions related to your family and will ask you to confirm your identity. In this part, you will be asked about some details related to the topic and asked questions about your knowledge of it. This part of the speaking test takes 5 minutes to complete.
Here are many examples of IELTS speaking test part 1 questions so you can be familiar with these and can prepare yourself to get more scores in the exam.
1. Can I see your (photo) ID please?/ Can I have your scorecard please?/ Please show me your passport/ Can I see some identification first?
2. Can I just check your name? / Your name is / So you are_ . Is that right?
3. Could you tell me your (full) name, please?
4. Can I check out how to pronounce/ spell your name?
5. What would you like me to call you?/ What should I call you?
6. Which part is your first name?
7. So, it says here that your name is Did I pronounce that okay?
8. Would you prefer me to use your first name or your family name?
9. Is it okay if I use your first name?
10.Should I call you or ?
11. Do you prefer Mrs, Miss or Ms?
Work and studies
12. Are you working or are you a student?
13. What do you do?
14. Do you enjoy your studies/ work? (What makes you say that/ Why?)/ What is the most interesting aspect/ part of your studies/ work?
15. Is there anything you dislike about your work/ studies?
16. What job would you like to do in the future? / What job do you hope to be
doing in ten years’ time?
17. Do you want to study anything in the future? / Is there anything you’d like
to study in the future?
18. Why did you choose this subject/ job?
19. Are you from (Seoul)? / Are you from around here?
20. How long have you been in (Seoul)? (Is Seoul the only place you have lived in?)
21. Where were you born?
22. Where did you grow up? / Where did you live when you were a child?
23. Are you from the country or the city?
24. What’s the most interesting part of your town/ village?
25. What kind of jobs do people in your town/ village do?
26. Would you say your hometown is a good place to live? (Why?)
27. Can you tell me something about your hometown?
28. Do you think is a good place to live in?
Hobbies and free time
29. What do you like doing in your free time?
30. What are your hobbies? / Do you have any hobbies? / Have you got any interests or hobbies?
31. Are there any new leisure activities you would like to take up?
32. Do you prefer to go out or stay at home in the evenings? (Why?)
33. How do you usually spend your weekends/ days off?
34. What do you usually do in the evening?
35. Do you prefer going out or staying at home? Why?
36. What did you do last weekend?
37. How much free time do you have?
Family and friends
38. Do you have a large family?
39. How many brothers and sisters do you have? What do they like doing in their free time?
40. Can you tell me about your family?
41. Did you get on well with your parents/ brothers or sisters when you were a child?
42. Do you get on well with your family? How/ Why?
43. Which of your parents do you most resemble/ take after? Why do you say that?
44. What do your parents do?
45. Do you have many friends? (How about close friends?)
46. When was the last time you met your extended family? What was the occasion?
47. Would you like to have a large family?
48. Do you live with your family?
Festivals and celebrations
49. How do you usually celebrate your birthday?
50. How did you celebrate your last birthday?
51. How do you think you will celebrate your next birthday?
52. What is the most important day of the year for you? (Why?)
53. What is the next big celebration in your family? (What are you going to do?)
54. What is the most important festival in your hometown/ country?
55. Are there any festivals you would like to go to?
56. When did you last go to a festival?
57. Does your hometown have any famous festivals?
58. Do you live in a house or a flat? / What sort of home do you live in? What kind of accommodation do you live in?
59. Where do you live now? How long have you been living there?
60. Where are you living now?
61. Do you live near here?
62. What do you like about your home? Is there anything you would like to change/ improve about your home?
63. What would your dream house be like?
64. Can you tell me about the kind of accommodation you live in? What do you like about living there?